Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gambit

SF: With Alan Rickman and Colin Firth in one film, plus the Cohen brothers touching up the script - how could I not see this. Sadly the best thing I can say about this is that it's not bad. Then again it's not good either. I laughed a bit when I was supposed to, but the plot was horribly predictable. Yes I know its a remake but that alone does not mean it need be formulaic, also I haven't see the 1966 caper so I can't compare. All I can say is that the previous outing had to be at least good enough to get people to bother paying money to make what is a rather flat film. Nothing stands out in any way, even Cameron Diaz was okay but there was nothing for her to ruin. The audience we were watching this with clearly thought it was a lot funnier than I did. If you want a great art thief comedy caper stay home and watch How to Steal a Million 4/10

50Eggs: n/a

DonkeyB: If you've seen the trailer you've seen the film, apart from the one funny scene with some quite creative innuendo fun with the hotel concierge staff. Incidentally what is it with films like this having the funniest scenes in them be with the guys behind the desk in a hotel: Pretty Woman, Notting Hill etc etc. Its great to see Alan Rickman getting a (semi) leading role. Its just not funny, or intriguing in any way really. The audience I was in laughed (I am not exaggerating, SF will back me up) at one of the Production studio cards before the film starts; they clearly had a low bar. It took until at least thirty minutes in for the corners of my mouth to even hint upwards. It really isn't funny. 3/10

Overall: 3.5/10

No comments: