Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Silver Linings Playbook

SF: After reading the plot summary, I had reservations. I've learned not to expect anything new from cinema and had a feeling this would be no exception. 10 minutes in I had the entire plot summed up and if you see this film, chances are you will too. On the plus side I think the acting was solid. The blend of humour and some very serious issues were well developed. I loved seeing Anupam Kher in this and rather enjoyed the predictable but sweet ending. Would I watch it again, not likely. But because of the great summaries of some well know books it's worth 6.5/10

50Eggs: I'm sure that most of the hype surrounding this film is due to the headline actors both being rising stars, rather than the content of the film. And as I watched it I did find it odd that this physically flawless couple were playing people with mental health issues. I wonder why they didn't go with normal looking people? But then again that's probably me being prejudice. The film itself is a bit talky but funny and interesting. The last scene is great. 7.5/10

DonkeyB: It is not a film about mental illness (which I was worried it might be), it is a film in which characters have mental health issues. It was much funnier than I expected. It is definitely the best film I've seen with Bradley Cooper in it. Jennifer Lawrence is terrific, she's building up quite a resume but quite significantly this is the best Robert DeNiro has been in quite some time. Chris Tucker is perfectly cast. I really enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Overall: 7/10

No comments: