Thursday, February 21, 2013

Searching for Sugarman

SF: I had no idea what this was about before I saw it, which I think made it all the more enjoyable. The film makers do an excellent job drawing you into the same mystery they tried to unravel. Becuase of that I don't want to say too much more about the film, it needs to be seen. The editing was good, well composed and kept the pace. I ended the film wanted to listen to the albumn featured throughout the film, so I'll be getting the Soundtrack. Go and see this with no prefixed ideas 8.5/10

50Eggs: n/a

DonkeyB: Like SF I fear the film could be spoiled by excessive spoilers which probably means I should stop telling everyone I talk to about it. It is like one of those really good BBC4 music documentaries, and its a similar length; only just over an hour. At least 75% of the audience we were in stayed all the way to the end of the credits which is always a good sign. I only have one more thing to say about the film and it relates to the controversy generated by a number of Oscar films this year: Django, 0D30, Argo etc. Part way through the film they are trying to establish what happened to the royalties earned by the artist who is the subject of the film. The white South African distributor claimed he paid all the due royalties to the original record label and is taken at his word, the black American chairmen of the record label who claims he never saw any royalties and had no idea the artist was successful is presented as a shifty liar. If that's not rascist I don't know what is! I am only slightly joking. Its terrific, get it on DVD and buy the soundtrack- I did. 9/10

Overall: 8.75/10

Because it seems unlikely that Mr eggs will get to see the film this week we bring you a special guest review from the Lovefilm page (and a link so you can go rent it)


No comments: