Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

SF: What struck me about this was how emotive this film was. At no point did the illusion disappear and if I can echo part of my review of Rise of the Planet of the Apes Andy Serkis's performance as Caesar is nothing short of amazing. The passage of time was nicely explained and the quick introduction of characters worked well so that the plot could move forward relatively quick. At no point did this lose me at all considering so much of it is CSG without real people. There were nice nods to the previous film and I really enjoyed this overall. A worthy sequel. 8/10

50 Eggs: The first 15 minutes of this contains not a single human, and virtually all words are communicated by Apes using sign language. And yet it's totally believable. It's a trait that continues throughout the film and the only surprise is that none of it seems surprising, but rather totally natural. The plot too is grown up and very engaging, an allegory for all wars. A must see that's as good as the first, if not better. 9/10

Donkey B: Its a terrific and thought provoking sequel to the first film. Serkis is magnificent. There are problems though and I did find myself thinking about them during the film so not quite up to the mark of the first one but still very good. 7.5/10

Overall: 8.17/10

No comments: